The Inner Life of the Preacher
Do you want to dazzle audiences with a display of your charisma and preaching skills? Or would you rather have them know God better? The reality is that as a preacher, your character is more important than your performance. If you truly value preaching, and want to become a more effective preacher and leader, then this course is for you.
Although clearly worthwhile in giving aspiring preachers a good foundation, oftentimes many courses and books on preaching (also known as “homiletics”) in Bible colleges and seminaries oftentimes take more of a “how-to” approach to preaching. While it is certainly helpful to learn the skills of negotiating the path from biblical text to the sermon itself, in this course we’ll take a different approach to the discipline of homiletics. Starting by laying the building blocks of preaching, the course adopts more of a “values-based” approach to the task of preaching. By connecting preaching to church leadership, the course explores the importance of personal credibility and spiritual authenticity on the part of the preacher. It also examines the connection between preaching and spiritual gifts, explores a theology of preaching, and finally concludes with communication theory, biblical preaching and the connection between preaching and the Holy Spirit. I look forward to walking this journey with you as you seek to lay a solid foundation for your preaching ministry.
What are the requirements?
- This course, formerly known as “The Building Blocks of Preaching,” is undergoing a name change!
- You should be interested in exploring preaching and what it means to be a leader with integrity and spiritual authenticity.
- This course is offered in English. If you would like to do this and English is not your first language, please contact us and indicate the language in which you would require this course.
What am I going to get from this course?
- A more comprehensive understanding of the important connection between preaching and church leadership.
- Putting into place the building blocks of preaching: credibility, spiritual authenticity and a biblical theology of communication that ultimately relies upon the Holy Spirit.
- 13 lessons of narrated PowerPoint slide shows, readings and audio sermons.
Who is this course for?
- You are a “practicing preacher” in a church or related ministry context
- You are a homiletics student.
- You are currently involved in preaching and/or church ministry leadership.
- You are exploring a call to the ministry or to preaching.
- You want to equip yourself for future service as an effective communicator of God’s Word.
|Preaching and the Preacher|
|Unit 1 Introduction to Preaching||00:04:00|
|Unit 2 Preaching and Credibility||00:06:00|
|Unit 3 Preaching and Spiritual Authenticity||00:05:00|
|Preaching and Giftedness|
|Unit 4 Preaching & 5 Fold Gifts: Part 1||00:05:00|
|Unit 5 Preaching & 5 Fold Gifts: Part 2||00:05:00|
|Unit 6 Preaching & 5 Fold Gifts: Part 3||00:06:00|
|Theology & Purpose of Preaching|
|Unit 7 A Theology of Preaching||00:06:00|
|Unit 8 The Purposes of Preaching: Part 1||00:06:00|
|Unit 9 The Purposes of Preaching: Part 2||00:05:00|
|Messiah to Criminal in One Easy Lesson: Audio Sermon||00:00:00|
|Preaching and Communication|
|Unit 10 Communication Theory: Part 1||00:06:00|
|Unit 11 Communication Theory: Part 2||00:06:00|
|Unit 12 Exploring Biblical Preaching||00:06:00|
|Unit 13 The Holy Spirit and Preaching||00:06:00|